Every gun owner has the responsibility of keeping his gun safe. GunVault SV500 Handgun Safe provides the perfect balance between keeping the gun out of reach for those who should not handle it and makes it easy to access as quickly as you need it. This personal sized gun safe can store one gun by your desk or in the vehicle for rapid but discreet access for the security conscious person. Since many people spend a good number of hours sitting at a desk or in the car, this vault is ideal for mounting hidden at the side of your desk or cabinet for quick access in case of an invasion at home, shop, in the office or while driving.
This GunVault SV500 Handgun Safe Review highlights why it is beneficial for personal protection. It’s compact and simple size may be perfect for concealing in a fixed location, but this also makes it not able to store more than one gun. Other than the speed of access, this gun safe is fairly priced at about $200. However, if the speed of access is not among your primary needs, you can consider larger safes.
Installing the gun safe
SpeedVault installation is easy and can take a maximum of 10 minutes due to its design that incorporates a separate mounting bracket. The bracket can be attached to any solid surface using the provided screws. Once fixed, use the slots on the rear and sides of the safe to mount it on the bracket then open to tighten the screws from the inside. You might also be interested in my post on the best gun safes under $500.
When you use a high quality 9V lithium battery like the Energizer Advanced, you can get many years out of it. This lasts longer than a standard battery, but not to worry, whatever battery you choose, the unit will give a beeping low battery warning when you open it hence the need to open it at least weekly to test the battery strength.
Accessing your SpeedVault
This gun safe is available in two configurations, a combination lock in the SV50 and a fingerprint lock in the SVB500 that can store up to 120 sets of prints with the first two designated as administrators. The combination push button safe is less expensive compared to its biometric counterpart.
You do not have to worry what will happen if the battery dies or you forget the combination; the unit comes with two backup keys you can use to open the safe to replace the dead battery or reset the combination. You might also be interested in reading my post, how does a biometric safe work.
One great feature you find in this GunVault is the tamper mode to show you if someone without access attempted to unlock the safe. When you hold down 2 and 3 keys for about 5 seconds, the LED will show green or red. Green indicates the last time the keypad was touched the correct key combination was entered, but if it shows red, then someone tried and failed.
The Stealth mode allows you to use the safe muted when you press the keypad. This button is inside the safe next to the learn button; it will still make some noise when opening but is much quieter than the beep.
The foam lining inside the safe protects the finish when you slide the gun in and out. The room inside is just enough for most semi-automatics, full-size revolvers and fit an extra magazine. A top mounted LED light illuminates the inside of the vault when you want to store or take out your gun in the dark; it shuts off ten seconds after you open the safe to save the battery life.
– The GunVault SV500 weighs 8.2 pounds and measures 6.5 by 3.5 by 13 inches.
– It is made in the US with quality materials including 18 gauge steel.
– It requires a 9v battery.
– It comes with an override key for cases of lost combination or battery failure.
– 4-button digital keypad for accessing the vault.
– Multiple mounting for any solid surface.
– Audio and LED warning for low battery.
The benefits of GunVault SV500 Safe
– It is easy to mount on the side of your desk, wall, cabinet or in the car.
– The GunVault is not as small as it seems and can be anchored to any solid surface for the person who needs a small safe that is easy to transport.
– This safe provides you with the ability to keep your firearm safe, secure yet very easy to access whenever you need it in the case of a home or car robbery.
– It can hold even larger handguns like 1911.
– The quick acting drop-down drawer makes it a great safe, just enter your code, and the drawer releases fast for rapid response in case of an emergency. You do not need to fumble for the grip since it is readily presented to you.
– The keypad is digitized for quick processing of instructions and also comes with a backup key for override purposes.
– This gun safe is however not waterproof or fireproof as it has been signed to provide safety and speed and not the additional functions.
– At the price point, it is not strong enough to withstand a persistent hammering but can keep the gun safe from kids and present it to you quickly whenever you have been invaded.
The GunVault is designed in a way that its gears are triggered to open when you put in the code. It produces a whirring sound in the process and turns on the internal light. It, however, does not warn when the battery is low unless you open the vault door.
It is now easy to keep your handgun safe and secure but access it quickly when needed. It offers both speed and discreet storage in a revolutionary design making it ideal for home, office and vehicle use as a personal safe. It is a favorite safe that you cannot do without once you try it. All products from GunVault are known to be of very high quality, and this product SV500 is no exception, and this is the reason it is at the top of Amazon’s best-sellers. It is one of the best investment a gun owner can make especially when the speed of access is the main need.