A home safe can be your greatest home security investment that can keep all your valuables safe inside your home. It can protect your money, jewellery, documents and everything that you want to keep safe from getting stolen or damaged by fire. The best safes are virtually fireproof, shatterproof and even burglarproof so insurance companies can give you the best premium in insuring your valuables if they see that you have a reliable safe at home.
Home safes have different features. There are the standard carry safe types which you can bring about anywhere, and there are also the wall safes and the floor safes. All of these have their special features and advantages though most people prefer the wall safes because these can be camouflaged behind wall pictures or the cabinets. They cannot be taken easily as well because these are solidly fixed inside the wall. The floor safes also provide the best security, but they require a lot of ground and cement work and not feasible to install if the house is located in a flood prone area. Carry safes can also provide enough security, and you can place it anywhere you want. However, because carry safes are the portable types, these are also vulnerable to burglars.
If you want to know how to choose the best home safes for your valuables, here are the best features you should look at.
Choosing Your Best Home Safe
1. Consider checking its Underwriter’s Laboratory (UL) rating. If you want to insure your valuables in a home safe with an insurance company, your home safe must meet the standard UL rating required by the insurance company. You will not be charged costly by your insurance company if you can meet this safe requirement.
2. Your home safe must be burglar and fire resistant. There are the heavy, solid and fixed types safes, but these are quite expensive though they can offer you the best protection for your money and valuables. You can also choose the smaller types if you only have few valuables or if you are short on budget for the larger ones.
3. Prefer a home safe that has the combination lock. Safes with combination locks are more secured than those that need keys. Seasoned burglars can easily find ways to unlock locks that use keys. You can also find home safes that have digital keys and have automatic bolting features.
4. Prefer a heavily-built wall safe if you are always leaving your home. Wall safes are safer and are an ideal choice if you are always away from your home. However, the wall of your home must be thick enough to accommodate the bulk of the safe. For the safe, its walls must be at least.5 inch thick and the door must be at least 1 inch thick and made of solid steel. Large and long screws must be used to secure the safe inside the wall for more secured hold.
5. If you prefer a floor safe, find one that is waterproof but made of solid steel. This safe will be bolted down to your floor, and once it is settled, it would be virtually impossible to remove it. So better think seriously if you want a fixed floor safe because you can hardly take it out once you have fixed this inside the cement floor.
6. Buy a safe according to your needs. If you want to protect your guns from your kids, buy a bigger safe with a combination lock. If you just want to store your money in it, you will need a medium size safe. Jewelry can be accommodated by smaller safes. The bottom line here, however, is finding a very durable safe for all the things you want to protect and keep safe.
7. Make a comparison of prices. You can easily find reliable home safes on hardware stores, office supply shops, and home security stores and even on furniture shops. However, make sure you will be assisted by staff and show you the most trusted brands. After you have noted the best ones, compare their prices.
The size of the safe also makes a big difference. A smaller safe is easier to hide, but a larger safe is far harder to remove from the house. In all cases, the owner should decide whether or not it is necessary to bolt the safe down, leave the secure freestanding, or install the safe right on the wall (yes, like in the movies). Part of the decision should be the other measures being utilized by the home to ensure security. A home with a home alarm system can expect that any intruder will have less time in the house and be more inclined to attempt to carry the safe with them. A home without an alternative home security system may want to invest more in the actual safe as the first and last line of defense between a burglar and valuables.
Today safes also come as fireproof and waterproof, which may turn out to be the most important feature regarding protecting your belongings. Unfortunately in life, even the best-laid plans can be overturned by an unexpected tragedy. It is common to ask oneself “what would I try to save in the case of a fire.” The answer should be “nothing,” since the priority is getting safely out of the burning building. By having valuables already stored in a fireproof and waterproof location the chances of their survival are better even than if they were in your hands, hindering your attempt to escape.
When thinking about home safety one of the best places to start is by consulting a security professional like those at. See for yourself why so many homeowners trust their belongings, whether in a safe or out, to add security systems.
Following these tips, it is most likely that you can be able to find a home safe that can give you an utmost peace of mind. Sometimes price does not matter as long as the home safe can provide you the maximum sense of security. If you have the money for a pricey but dependable home safe, why not buy it? So before purchasing your home safe, make sure you know the type that you need and where you can install it. If you have a problem installing it, you can also find in the directories a lot of licensed home safe installers.